Chiew Yu Sarn is a founding partner and Head of the Corporate and Commercial Department of Yusarn Audrey. Yu Sarn is an Advocate & Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore, and is also entered into the rolls as a Solicitor, England and Wales.
Experience / Areas of Practice
Yu Sarn’s areas of practice include corporate and commercial law and IP, with a specific focus on the commercialization of IP. His experience includes the following:
- IP Acquisition and Sale
- Venture Capital Investments
- Joint Ventures and Strategic Alliances
- Non-public Acquisitions and Mergers
- Research Collaborations and Sponsored Research
- Biomedical Research and Regulatory Advice
- Manufacturing, Agency, Distribution and Supply Chain Management
- Corporate and Commercial Law
In his strategic IP consultancy work, Yu Sarn advises companies, institutions and government agencies on IP strategic planning and IP governance and policy, and helps his clients enhance their in-house IP management capabilities through training and coaching. He also advises companies on raising capital and financing using their IP. This work includes preparing companies for capital raising through IP audits. He has also performed pre-investment IP due diligence investigations on behalf of private equity investors.
In the area of franchising and licensing, Yu Sarn’s practice includes assisting Singapore and international franchisors and IP owners in franchising and licensing transactions all over Asia and other markets. As regional legal counsel for international franchisors and IP owners from various countries and fields, he has been instrumental in helping a number of them enter into markets in Asia and beyond, including Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Brunei, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, India, Kuwait, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Australia and, of course, Singapore.
The clients he has served include technology companies in areas such as software, wireless technology and healthcare, as well as venture capital and private equity fund managers, statutory boards, hospitals, multinational corporations, foreign and local law firms and internationally renowned authors and speakers.
In recognition of his experience and expertise in the field of IP licensing and commercialization, Yu Sarn was accredited as a Certified Licensing Professional (CLP) by Certified Licensing Professionals, Inc., an independent, worldwide non-profit organization tasked with maintaining internationally applicable standards, ethics, and excellence in the field of licensing. Yu Sarn is also an accredited SCOPE IP consultant for the Scope IP programme of the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS).
Yu Sarn has served as an Independent Director of a SGX-listed company for five years and is a member of the Singapore Institute of Directors.
- Member, Singaporean-German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (SGC)
- Past President, Licensing Executives Society (Singapore) (2009-2011)
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Member, the Law Society of England and Wales
- Member, Singapore Institute of Directors
- Associate Member, Franchising And Licensing Association Singapore (FLA)
- Member, Association of University Technology Managers